By David Art
Michael F. Collins, Chancellor of UMass Medical School, with salary of $897,478, topped the list of the highest-paid educators in the state higher education system in 2014.
University of Massachusetts President Robert Caret, with a salary of $558,712, notably made the second most of all school officials. Caret will become chancellor at the University of Maryland as of July 1st. President Emeritus of UMass Amherst Jack Wilson made $361,461.
Several high-ranking Vice Chancellors made salaries over $300,000 as well. Mark S. Klempner, Executive Vice Chancellor for MassBiologics at UMass Medical School earned $600,179 in 2014, more than any Chancellor in the state besides Collins. Jacqueline Moloney, Executive Vice Chancellor at UMass Lowell, made $324,752, followed by James Sheehan, the Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, with a salary of $307,772.
UMass Amherst Executive Vice President James Julian Jr. and Senior Vice President Marcellette Williams made $352,316 and $302,508, respectively.
Bridgewater State University President Dana Mohler-Faria will be retiring this year, having served as president since 2002. President Robert V. Antonucci of Fitchburg State University will also be retiring at the end of this academic year after an 11-year tenure as president. Rear Admiral Richard Gurnon, Massachusetts Maritime Academy President, will be ending his tenure at the College after 10 years.
The 2014 salaries of presidents and chancellors at Massachusetts public colleges and universities are listed below:
- Michael Collins, Chancellor & SVP Health Sciences, UMass Medical School – $897,478
- Kumble Subbaswamy, Chancellor, UMass Amherst – $432,614
- J. Keith Motley, Chancellor, UMass Boston – $379,390
- Marty Meehan, Chancellor, UMass Lowell – $333,354
- Dana Mohler-Faria, President, Bridgewater State University – $284,669
- Divina Grossman, Chancellor, UMass Dartmouth – $280,025
- Robert Antonucci, President, Fitchburg State University – $271,728
- Patricia Meservey, President, Salem State University – $256,389
- Barry Maloney, President, Worcester State University – $221,053
- Richard Gurnon, President, Massachusetts Maritime Academy – $214,657
- Elizabeth Preston, Interim President, Westfield State University – $202,036
- Cynthia Brown, Interim President, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts – $145,848